Proxemics- there are various classifications, but usually the space can be divided into three distances according to the subject’s (my body’s) point of view:

0 – 45 cm
45 - 360 cm
from 360 cm
intim space
personal space
public space


This means, that the majority of teaching (not at home and not online) equals to public speaking.

Questions: what are people afraid of the most?
(not spiders, not snakes, not death), but public speaking!

Not everyone is born with a pleasant voice or a talent for speaking. You have to learn how to speak publicly. You have to practice it and get used to it. The goal is, that none of the listeners should want to ask: „could you please repeat that?“ or „please repeat it, I couldn’t hear/understand!“
Everything has to be clearly comprehensible for the first time.

When it comes to communication, only 7% of the information comes through the words, the remaining 93% is transmitted by non-verbal communication (non-verbal messages). These latter can be further divided into two parts: non-spoken and paralanguage.

communication by pheromones
Communication alltogether 7% verbal
55% non-verbal
38% paralanguage
Non-verbal communication: touch
gestures
mimic
eye-contact
body posture
proximity
chronemics
communication by moves
Paralingvistics: rythm
pace and duration of speaking
intonation
accent

There is a vast literature about nonverbal communication. I use the book from Erhard Thiel: Body Language Says More Than a Thousand Words (München/Genf, 1992). We will find the meaning of the presented gestures and practice them. The range of the gestures is wide, it is impossible to name them all.
Goal: make the trainees aware of the fact, how important body language is.
Results: use small gestures with your hand. Stand for the whole lesson and walk/move a little.

Example: we analyze a muted video together. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mhHbhWk87YI

Exercise: everyone has to read the text on the screen loudly. Goal: make the trainees realise the differences in their pace.

Exercise:

  1. Everyone receives a chewing gum and has to read the same text again while chewing it. This technique slows the speaking down and improves the articulation.
  2. take three profound breaths
  3. take 5 profound breaths to the belly and exhalate twice as long.
  4. repeat the same while pronouncing „s“ and after that „sh“
  5. inhale to the belly and read the „m-sentence“ created during improvisations while exhaling. The lips have to vibrate.

Repeate this technique at home.

10 pieces of advice (7 general + 3 for teachers) how to speak in public successfully:

  1. Talk slowly (slower than usual – cca. 100 words per minute; it is helpful to register yourself)
  2. Keep eye-contact (look to the back, don’t look to papers or the blackboard, have the notes on small papers – A6 format)
  3. Memorise only the concept (never the whole text)
  4. Concentrate on the gestures (make only small gestures by your hand, everything else would be disturbing)
  5. Be aware, how the audience is looking at you (your appearance is improtant, and pay attention whether the audience is bored or laughing...)
  6. Stay focused on the topic (do not get off-piste, but you may tell a joke or a funny short story; do not repeat the sentences)
  7. keep the structure / form (information – topic – conclusion)
  8. Take care of the questions (clearly repeat every question, it shouldn’t be the same person who always asks questions, and the person demanding should not start giving a lecture)
  9. PowerPoint (it is not a cinema!) (PP shouldn”t be dominant, it should just complement your lesson; the screen should be just an addition, not the star; don’t use too long texts or too much decoration)
  10. Exercise and train (as often as possible) – in front of a mirror; the speaker is the author, regisseur and actor in one person, (s)he needs to know exactly, when the role of the author ends and the role of the actor begins.

Result: after each lession you will improve your presentation, because it is the teacher who learns the most in the classroom.

We will watch the registered videos together and will discuss each trainee.